Saturday, August 07, 2004

Being Part of the Solution

My Dad grilled the following phrase into my brain: "You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution." What he left open-ended was how you go about being part of the latter. So periodically, at least once a year, I ask myself: "What are you doing to be part of the solution?" It's tough to be objectively introspective, but I give it my best shot. You see, as a young man, I used to muse, "The one who dies with the most toys 'wins'!" Now that I'm older, I've realized that it isn't about "winning," it's about making a difference. How you choose to make a difference is up to you.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for people who make a difference in their lives on a daily basis. Teachers, police, fire fighters, military men & women, and social workers all deserve more respect--and more pay I might add--in my opinion. Their dedication affects lives in a tangible way. Their reality eclipses most every "reality" television program. For instance, if you can read this article, you have a teacher to thank. If you value the freedoms you have, you have the military to thank. If your neighborhood is a safe one, you have a policeman to thank. Mind you, I don't expect everyone to stop what they're doing to work in the public sector, but you should value what these folks bring to the table. Is it always all good and rosy? No. Are there some bad cops and incompetent teachers? Sure. They exist. But the number of good ones far outweigh the bad, and the former never seem to get enough credit for the multitude of things they do right.

Which brings me to the great American pastime. No. Not baseball, but the facination Americans have to hoist people up on a pedastal and step on them when they're "down." Take Michael Jackson for example. We generally love his music--okay, except "Man in the mirror"--but can't help being equally as entertained in observing his demise. Is voyeurism woven into the American fabric? Are you part of the problem? Or are you part of the solution? Sure, Michael is responsible for his actions, and he will get the justice he deserves...as will Kobe and Robert Blake and Scott Peterson. As I mentioned earlier, it's too bad we don't take equal notice to people who do the opposite: Screw up big time and then redeem themselves. There's no better example of this that I can think of than Stanley "Tookie" Williams. Never heard of Stanley? Read on...

Stanley was one of the founding members of the Crips, and is currently in prison on death row. Admittedly, his early resume left much to be desired, but there's more. Through his own immense efforts, this won't be Stanley's epitaph. Stanley isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but he's done more to redeem himself than most people will do in a lifetime. All from behind bars. Stanley has written a series of children's books that was so well received he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Being incarcerated didn't help him garner many supporters, but when was the last time you did something that warranted consideration for such an honor? The latter part of Stanley's life has been depicted in the movie Redemption, enacted by Jamie Foxx--a movie very worthy of your time. He speaks regularly to troubled youth, planting seeds of peace that will hopefully flourish as the boys and girls he addresses become men and women. He's making a difference, when no one thought he could.
I've neither met nor spoken with Mr. Williams, but if I ever get that opportunity I would tell him, "You're part of the solution."
Peace,
+THINKER

No comments:

Post a Comment