Tuesday, August 03, 2004

...with liberty, and justice for all(?)

Recall the pledge of allegiance regularly recited in Kindergarten classes across America:

I pledge allegiance, to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Think about the last part for a minute: "with liberty and justice for all." Now you may be thinking, "here comes the bleeding heart liberal speech," but I'm going in a different direction. For the record, I am a fiscal conservative--which means I like to keep what I earn and I'm happy to pay my fair share of taxes for the services we all receive. I am a social liberal--which means I think everyone has an equal right to pray to whom they wish to worship, marry who they wish to marry, and live where they wish to live. It's the American way. Back to the topic at hand...
As my youngest son embarks on his Kindergarten and grade school years, I contemplated the pledge he would be stating daily, ending in, "with liberty and justice for all." I reflected upon the time when "liberty" was an issue for African Americans. It no longer is, of course, but it took this country decades to realize that the unpopular decision was ultimately the right decision. This realization was embodied in the Emancipation Proclamation and the thirteenth amendment to the Constitution to make it official. Similarly, freedom to vote came later, and later still for women with the fifteenth and nineteenth amendments respectively. So we're all free and we can all vote. Finally. But while we Americans can play equally in the polling booth, what about in the courts? Is there truly justice for all?

I recently read an article in the local paper about Martha Stewart wanting to write a book!-- sacbee.com - Martha Stewart says she'll write book about trial experience Go figure. Now where's the justice here? Isn't the headline, "Woman gets convicted of felony and writes book," just a tad bit strange? "I think I'll write a book because I think it could be helpful to other people, just about what lawyer to choose, how to behave, how to attend an interview, " says she. What's sadder? That some publisher will do it, or that some idiots will actually buy her book? Perhaps it's just me, but does anyone want advice on how to pick a lawyer from someone who lost the case? [I don't see any hands up in the audience.] And what does picking a lawyer have to do with how to attend an interview? Let's see what I can come up with as a Martha ghost writer candidate: To attend an interview, you show up on time. The end. Does any of this make sense? Are you feelin' me? Okay, to be fair, she's only going to "suffer" five months...on her 153-acre New York estate...while she continues to get paid by her conglomerate. But hey, this is "justice for all," right?

Somewhere in a parallel universe, a whino named G.W. commits a felony in California. It's his third strike, and normally in California that means the government gives G.W. a very stern time out...in jail...but I'm talking about a parallel universe here. [Just hang in there for a bit longer.] G.W. has no money for a defense--let alone a good one-- and his court appointed attorney is overbooked with other cases and appeals. G.W. has no family. He was poor and had a lousy upbringing for which he makes lots of excuses about "the Man" keeping him down. During his trial G.W. is not contrite. In fact, he's downright arrogant. "I'm just gonna' go back to livin' on the street when I'm through, so f@#% all ya'll," he says on the stand. In this universe, G.W. is rightly convicted of his crime--afterall, all the evidence was there except for the smoking gun. Surprisingly though, he doesn't get a heavy sentence. Instead, he gets reprimanded to a just few months at the Gold Club. The liquor store where he normally buys his beer donates spirits to him during his stay at the girlie bar. Sound ridiculous? Of course it does. So does Martha's fate. I suppose Martha will have the last laugh, but I firmly believe everyone gets what's coming to them. So if you happen to work for Ms. Stewart and an electrical storm is brewing, just know that you need to get out of Dodge...pronto!

And on a more serious note: maybe...just maybe...we need to take a really hard look at how to fix our (unequal) justice for all.
Peace,
+THINKER

3 comments:

  1. If thinking positive could solve the ills of the world, this country alone would be without anything negative. You know that ain't gonna happen. The few "heads" of this country are not gonna stand still for equality. When you find the answer to how to fix the "unequal justice", please awake me from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous poster: Sorry that you missed the point entirely. The purpose of my editorial--if you read it--is to provide food for thought and act as a call for action. It's called free speech. ;o)
    --Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every person of African descent (I confess to being essentially and primarily concerned with us) needs to see fahrenheit 9-1-1, exercise their civic muscle and vote and get rid of Bush. We need to end the war in Iraq and begin the war on big money in the U.S. and the world. And, we need to teach our children to be producers, not consumers. The main thing we need to consume is our own history.
    A Prof in Florida

    ReplyDelete